This course is an elective at the master level, for 6 study points (26 hours lectures, 26 hours practical sessions).
The course is taught in English in the first semester.
The official course description can be found here.
The goal of this course is to study automated techniques for evaluating, assuring, and improving the quality of software.
This slide deck should give a better idea about these techniques.
The initial lectures focus on foundations, each with an example application:
- Symbolic execution for generating tests
- Program transformation for measuring test coverage
- Program querying for enforcing design invariants
- Program analysis for detecting bug patterns
- Abstract interpretation for detecting security leaks
In the final lectures, we study recent publications to understand how these foundations are evolving to cope with the complexity of contemporary software.
There is no traditional oral or written exam. Students will be graded as follows:
- 3 mandatory assignments in which students apply and extend quality assurance techniques (20% each), assigned during the lectures, deadline: start of examination session.
- 1 mandatory oral presentation synthesizing two recent publications in the domain (40%), to be chosen from predetermined list, deadline: last two lectures.
Note that failing to hand in an assignment or failing to present automatically results in an ABSENT mark.
The theory is lectured every Thursday from 10:00 till 12:00 in room F.10.720, with the following exceptions:
- Week 3: no lecture on October 6 (ICSMe conference). Replacement lecture in week 4 on October 14 at 15:00 in room F.10.720.
- Week 7: no lecture on November 3 (SPLASH conference). Replacement lecture in week 6 on October 28 at 15:00 in room F.10.720.
- Week 10: no lecture on November 24 (official duties). Replacement lecture in week 10 on December 9 at 15:00 in room F.10.720.
- Week 11: no lecture on December 1 (teaching at UCLV). Replacement lecture in week 12 on December 16 at 15:00 in room F.10.720.
The first lecture takes place on September 29.
The exercise sessions take place every Friday from 15:00 till 17:00 in room E.1.4, except in week 3 or when replaced by a lecture (week 4, 6, 10, 12). Replacement sessions will be planned.
The contents of this course has moved to Pointcarré.