Capita Selecta of Software Engineering
Academic year 2014 - 2015
First class is September 29, 2014 15-17h in room D.2.12.
No class in the first week (September 22-26, 2014). Consult the schedule below, it will be updated regularly.
This is an advanced course about selected topics from the state of the art of software engineering. The exact content of the course varies on a yearly basis.
For each topic we will review the theory and principles, but also best practices and pitfalls, and when relevant the use of tools. As such, the material will be presented to you in slides, whereas a project (combining one or more topics) will serve to give you some practical experience. For some topics there will be reading assignments.
The topics come from my personal experience as a consultant with software projects in industry and as a legal expert with disputes in court about software projects.
Example topics are:
- agile software development
- software (functional) quality - unit testing
- software (structural) quality: clean code, code reviews, version management, ...
- software intellectual property: legal aspects and application in practice
A schedule for the entire year will be posted here soon.
Please note that although the course spans 1st and 2nd semester, there will definitely not be a class every week. At the absolute most, there will 13 classes. You should always consult the schedule below.
If scheduled, classes will be on Mondays, from 15-17h, in room D.2.12 for weeks 2-14.
- week 2: September 22, 2014: no class
- week 3: September 29, 2014: FIRST CLASS (introduction)
- week 4: October 6, 2014: no class
- week 5: October 13, 2014: no class
- week 6: October 20, 2014: class on agile software development (download slides)
- week 7: October 27, 2014: class on agile software development, user stories and mapping (download slides), selection project
- week 8: November 3, 2014: no class
- week 9: November 10, 2014: no class
- week 10: November 17, 2014: class user story mapping workshop for project
- week 11: November 24, 2014: no class
- week 12: December 1, 2014: class testing and project
- week 13: December 8, 2014: no class
- week 14: December 15, 2014: no class
- week 22: February 9, 2014: ?
- week 23: February 16, 2014: ?
- week 24: February 23, 2014: ?
- week 25: March 2, 2014: ?
- week 26: March 9, 2014: ?
- week 27: March 16, 2014: ?
- week 28: March 23, 2014: ?
- week 29: March 30, 2014: ?
- week 32: April 20, 2014: ?
- week 33: April 27, 2014: ?
- week 34: May 4, 2014: ?
- week 35: May 11, 2014: ?
- week 36: May 18, 2014: ?
The exam will consist of the following parts:
- written and/or oral examination about the course material that is presented in the HCO by means of slides; this exam can be open or closed book
- project that consists of deliverables, submitted throughout the year according to a schedule, such as (intermediate) reports, demo, presentation, source code, ...
- optionally: report or presentation on a reading assignment
For questions please contact Maja D'Hondt (email@example.com).
More information about my professional activities can be found here: http://www.majadhondt.be